The Mercy Auxiliary of Central Iowa
Supporting Mercy’s Patient Care Programs and Services since 1948
The Mercy Auxiliary of Central Iowa is a dynamic organization with more than 2,000 members that has supported the patient care programs and services of Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines and its affiliates since it was founded in 1948.
Governed by a community board, the Mercy Auxiliary is historically the largest single donor to Mercy. To date, the Auxiliary has contributed more than $9 million to various patient care programs and services, and is especially supportive of projects that affect women, children and students who attend Mercy College of Health Sciences.
The Auxiliary’s financial support is in part made possible by the success of the gift shops, salons and Mercy Starbucks. Each year, the net profits from those Auxiliary-managed operations are combined with money raised through other events and granted to a variety of activities and programs throughout the organization.
Looking for Members with Servant's Hearts
The Mercy Auxiliary is always looking for new members. Men and women of any age who care about Mercy and believe in its Mission to improve the well-being of the communities it serves are welcome to join.
In addition to making a special difference in the lives of the patients and families Mercy cares for, Auxiliary members also receive a discount on all purchases at the Auxiliary-managed gift shops, salons and Mercy Starbucks, and are eligible for special offers and coupons. Members also enjoy complimentary valet parking.
For more information about the Mercy Auxiliary, please call (515) 247-3247.
In the fall of 1948, Mr. Ralph Branton, Advisory Board Chairman called together several Mercy leaders, the Advisory board, their wives, presidents and wives of the Catholic Women’s organizations, and the wives of the Mercy staff. This was to initiate an interest in Mercy Hospital and its school of nursing. Advisory board member Mary Northup was elected as the first Guild President at their first meeting on November 5, 1948.
Mr. E.H. Mulock furnished the first “seed” money for basic supplies in the amount of $1,200.
Auxiliary Board of Directors 2017-18
Mary Rose Fugaccia
S. Sue Zylstra
Dixie Harmeyer-Knowles: Board Liaison to Foundation
Auxiliary Services Manager
President, Mercy Foundation